Richard E. Romero
Richard Romero’s practice has focused primarily on the representation of public entities in both a transactional and litigation capacity. Over his career, Richard has advised public agencies on the full spectrum of issues facing public entities, including employment and labor, elections, public works, contracting, Brown Act compliance and Public Records Act responses.
Richard has worked with or for public entities since before even graduating from law school, interning at the City Attorney offices for San Diego and Chula Vista as well as interning at the Imperial County District Attorney’s Office prior to law school. He currently serves as Deputy City Attorney and Special Counsel for several different types of public entities and served as Assistant General Counsel to a water district for over 5 years. Richard has also defended cities, schools, colleges, and special districts in litigation over his entire career, including in both state and federal court, courts of appeal, local and state commissions, etc.
In addition to his public entity representation, Richard has also represented private individuals and entities over his career in both litigation and transactional work and on both the plaintiff and defense side, including advising on employment and personnel issues, drafting and negotiating contracts, and civil defense.
Richard grew up in a small, primarily-agricultural community on the border with Mexico, Calexico, California, in a family filled with public servants, including teachers and city employees. Richard is fluent in Spanish, proudly meeting with Mexican elected officials and giving a presentation to a Mexican Congressional committee on a water project. He has two young children and has been happily married to a loving wife who has supported him throughout his education and legal career.
- Municipal Law, Government Relations, Public Agencies
- Public Records, Privacy, and Sensitive Security
- Design and Construction
- Campaign Election and Ethics
- Employment and Labor
- Civil Litigation, Writs and Appeals
- Water and Energy
- University of Southern California School of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of San Diego, summa cum laude, B.A., 2003
- Imperial Valley College, A.A., 2001
- Federal Court; Southern, Central, and Northern Districts of California
- Federal Bankruptcy Court
- United States Supreme Court
- California League of Cities
- San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2015 and 2016
- San Diego County Bar Association